Did you know March is National Brain Health Month? You probably aren’t thinking about brain health too much in your busy life, but it’s really important to include a lot of brain healthy foods in your diet! A sharp brain can help you stay healthy and young! Here are my top 5 favorite brain healthy foods:
1. Blueberries! According to Dr. Stephan Pratt, says that blueberries help protect the brain from oxidative stress and may reduce the effects of age-related conditions such as Alzheimer’s disease or dementia. Also, studies show that people who eat berries improve their memory and their motor skills.
2. Walnuts! Nuts contain monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats to keep your arteries clear, as well as levels of precursors of serotonin to boost mood.
3. Avocados! Avocados contain a high level of Folate which is essential for brain health and the maintenance of cognitive function, including memory. Deficiency may lead to cognitive decline and Alzheimer’s disease.
4. Chia Seeds! Chia is loaded with Omega-3 fatty acids which your brain converts into DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) which enhances neuronal communication and promotes neuronal growth.
5. Dark Chocolate! It offers incredible concentration powers! It is a powerful antioxidant containing natural stimulants that increase the production of feel-good endorphins. BUT here’s the thing, you need to find dark chocolate with less than 10 grams of sugar per serving.