Holiday season is here and if you are like me that means your calendar is rapidly filling up with holiday parties. And when it comes to parties, I feel being a gracious guest is just as important as being a fabulous host! After all, you do want to make sure you get invited to the next party! And when you are gracious, you let the host know just how much you appreciate them throwing a party. So here are my rules (well, suggestions):
1. Always RSVP!!!! If you don’t do this, you stink!! It’s very difficult to plan things like food or gifts if you have no idea who is coming. That’s why they ask for an RSVP.
2. Bringing a hostess gift is always a nice touch. It’s not mandatory, but you would never catch me showing up to someone’s house and not bringing at least something! Here are some ideas. Alcohol is always a nice option, but can be kinda predictable. If you are going to go with alcohol, why not mix it up and bring a fabulous bottle of festive pink champagne? If you are feeling even more creative, a holiday ornament for the tree is nice or a book or candle.
3. Be social! At the party, don’t just stick to your friends, branch out! Meet some new people! You never know who you’ll run into! No one likes a wall flower.
4. Drink, but don’t drink too much! Seriously, it’s a holiday party, not a fraternity party! Just cause there is free alcohol does not give you the excuse to get blasted.
5. Compliment the hosts on their efforts!
6. Don’t over stay your welcome. If the hosts are in their slippers and cleaning up bottles, don’t hang around unless you are going to do the dishes.
7. Send a “thank you” note. This is not mandatory, but is something that is so unexpected and nice when you receive! People who send me “thank you” notes automatically jump a notch in my book! If you don’t have time to write one, at least drop a phone call, text, or email.
Enjoy the holiday season!!